Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Few Notes on Turkey

So far on this trip I have been pleasantly surprised by most of the places we have visited, the negative comments on websites and tour books being overcome by actually experiencing the places first hand. I must say that Turkey has blown me away.

The people that we encountered were genuinely kind and helpful and even if everyone was hustling to get you into their restaurant/carpet shop/crafts store, it is all very laid back. The country is absolutely beautiful, with a blend of mountains, valleys and coastline that rivals anywhere that I have seen to date. Given the number of museums and archeological sites that Ulises and I have visited so far, the offerings in Turkey are the least crowded and the most well rounded (with historical elements that touch nearly all of Western and Eastern history).

The biggest surprise of all has to be Istanbul. Despite being populated with some 15Million people, it was a beautiful city, with the center of commerce as crowded and crazy as you would expect, but with quiet parks the size of whole towns, and tiny cafes where you can waste away the day, and the fairytale spectacle of the minarets at the Blue Mosque and the towering red brick façade of Aya Sofia. I will come back here again.

No comments: