Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Surrealist Manifestos



On the way to the Museo Nacionale Centro de Arte Reina Sofia (the Modern Art Museum), we stumbled upon a very odd sight, a building with shrubs, flowers, and vines for one of its walls (check out some photos). It was so lovely, a little respite between the concrete and slick sidewalks of the city walk. Check out some photos to get a glimpse of how striking it is.

Now on to the museum…what can I say, the Museum is absolutely amazing. It is three floors of mind bending, disturbing and hilariously sarcastic artwork. The big traveling exhibit currently up is the Picasso exhibit on loan from Paris. The culmination of all the sketches, studies and models on display is the final masterwork the Guernicia – a surrealist depiction of the bombing of a city in Spain during WW1. In looking at all of the Picasso’s, I wonder at what point does your doodles and sketches next to your grocery list become frame worthy artwork?

The Museum also houses several masterworks by Dali and Joan Miro. I am a big fan of both artists, who somehow manage to show a bit of humor and irony in their artwork, something that I find lacking in Picasso’s pieces (this coming from a girl who got a C in Art History). Any who, they did have the painting that my dad had on our apartment wall when I was growing up – The Premonition of Civil War. I thoroughly enjoyed the museum, and Ulises and I closed it down – leaving a little after 9PM.

All in all a great day of absorbing some good old Spanish Surrealism.

No comments: